Wednesday, October 27, 2010

DIY Break & Bake Cookie Dough Tutorial

I love making cookies with Kamille, but I always seem to be throwing away most of a batch of uneaten cookies.  So, I decided to try making my own break and bake style cookies so that I could have the convenience of refrigerated cookie dough, but have all natural ingredients.

I started with my favorite cookie recipe.  I usually just use the recipe off of the nestle morsels (then I substitute whole wheat flour and flax seed meal for the white flour).  Plus, I like to make without eggs, so I substitute milk for the eggs.  It makes a chewy, delicious cookie.

Once I finished making my batter, I refrigerated it for 2 hours, until the dough was really stiff.


   
Next, I lined a small pan - I think that it is about 5"x5" with wax paper. 


Then I filled the pan about 1" deep with cookie dough.  I pressed it flat. 



Next, I cut it into sections, cutting about 1/2 way through the dough.


Finally, I wrapped the wax paper around the cookie dough, lifted the whole package out of the pan, and sealed it into an airtight gallon Ziploc freezer bag. 


You can keep cookies in the freezer for up to 3 months (the store bought kind last longer in the freezer and fridge because they are full of preservatives).  The dough will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days.

To use, you take them out of the freezer and let them defrost before baking. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...