Friday, April 10, 2020

Free Sleep Mask Pattern -Turn Old Tees and Scraps into Fun Face Masks


I actually got hooked on masks in Iceland.  If you have never been, I totally recommend a trip there.  However, if you are a neurotic sleeper like me, you are not going to do well with the endless day of summer.  it literally never gets dark in the summer.  So, I brought masks and now I'm addicted to sleeping with these things.  Especially since we live across from a ski area and the lights are on all night during ski season.

I also like these because they are fun for teens and tweens.  It's so hard to find sewing projects once kids hit certain age.  I'm pretty sure my kid never wants another cosmetic bag.  I just made 4 more this week because I'm going crazy with the boredom.

Check out my second ever video tutorial below.  I think I'm getting the hang of these little by little.  I'm really loving not having to appear in the video myself.  I did get my nails "done" for this video in a new salon my 12 year old has opened in our living room called Chez Kamille.  She's not quite there with serving coffee and wine, but maybe in a few more weeks.  So far, I've gotten two facials, two manicures, and used some Biore pour strips for the first time since high school.  It's good for an hour of social isolation boredom busting and some mommy daughter time.
Supplies needed:

Scissors
Pins
Elastic
T-shirt Fabric or Cotton
Fleece
Printable Pattern

I'm putting links to the supplies here.  I really love these scissors.  They were a gift last Christmas.  Two years of cutting and they are still pretty sharp.  I like that they are heavy.  Some people might not like that.  I like it because that makes them hard to lose.  Somewhere in my massive fabric stash is a $75 pair of titanium scissors folded up in a project.  They are so light, I didn't realize and now they are just lost.  These gold scissors are massive.  There is no losing them and there is no "accidentally" using them for something else.


Some hints here.  I'm using fold over elastic.  I love this stuff and order it in bulk.  I have this rainbow assortment and it has really come in handy.  It's good quality too for all sorts of projects.  There are so many uses for it.  If you don't want yards of elastic - I think those elastic headbands from Dollar Tree or Target would work too.  Plus, you can get those today and not have to wait for anything to come in the mail.  I'm pretty impulsive, so if I decide I need to make something - I need to make it NOW!.  I always use sharp pins so that my fabric doesn't get snagged.  Pins wear out and get dull.  Also, this is best to sew with a size 11 needle, maybe a 14. The fabric gets a little thick once it's turned and you are topstitching.  You don't want a ballpoint needle.  It's not going through all the layers.  I use fleece as a padding inside.  I'm sure you could use batting too.  But, I always have fleece scraps and it's cheap.  I don't always have batting lying around.  Fleece gives enough padding for me. 

You could totally repurpose old clothes for these.  I personally like t-shirt material.  Yes, the cotton masks look nice, but this in on your face all night.  I want comfort over the look.

Click here for the free printable face mask sewing pattern.  You need to set your printer to print to actual size.  Some people don't check that when they print patterns and they end up with a tiny version of the thing they are sewing.  That's why there is a little square that says 1".  If that's not 1", your printer shrank the pattern.

Don't forget to tag me in your finished product on instagram @indipatterns and Follow Me on Facebook @Indipatterns.  You will get to see any new items I put up on the blog.  I'm trying to take the over 200 patterns I have designed and make them all available free through my blog.  It will probably take me the next several months to get through the, but I'm working on it slowly but surely.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...