Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Altered Canvases

This is a fun little project I did for Kamille's room.  I saw somthing like this on TV and decided to make my own mini version.  To make the project you need:

Doll Hangers ($3.00 for 4)
Mini Canvas - I actually use one of the $1.00 pre-printed canvases from the dollar section at Michaels/JoAnns or the Dollar Store
Ribbon
Tulle
Flower,
Scrapbook Paper
Paint


The first step is to paint the canvas in a color that coordinates with your theme.  On the right, I painted the canvas black.  On the left, I used a convas that was already painted purple (it had ugly flowers painted on it - from the dollar store).  Once that is dry, I cut a piece of scrapbook paper to fit.  Then I added some title enbellishments from the scrapbook section.  To make the skirt, I gathered a piece of tulle on the sewing machine (But you could just gather with a needle and thread or gather it as you glue).  I hot glued the tulle tutu skirt into the bottom edge of the canvas.  Then, I glued down a piece of ribbon or other decorative trim over the top.  Finally, I added the flower as an embellishment.  

I tacked the straps onto the hanger with a dab of hot glue.  Then, I glue them onto the front of the canvas.  Finally, I covered that up with ribbon bows.

You can put a photo on the scrapbook paper.  I haven't gotten that far yet, but I will probably put a pic of Kamille and a couple of her friends on these little photo frames.  You could make a really huge version of this with a child's hanger.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...