Sunday, November 14, 2010

Coffee Sleeves for Christmas

This little project was inspired by my sister.  She is all about embroidery, but as you all know, I totally despise hand sewing. I took here idea for a java jacket style coffee sleeve and made it modern with a retro graphic.  So my version is fleece because fleece is made of up to 100% recycled materials (old pop bottles).  It also has an insulating effect that keeps your coffee warm and your hand cool.
I basically traced around a cardboard coffee sleeve to make my pattern, adding a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Then I cut 2.  Then, I printed my vintage style graphics on printable fabric.  I satin stitched it down (a very tight zigzag).  Then I sewed the two pieces right sides together, turned and then top stitched.  Top stitching gives the piece shape and closes the opening from turning so there is no need to do a blind stitch to close.  If you don't have a machine, you could hand sew this in about 10 minutes.  I am lazy, so I would whip stitch the whole thing or blanket stitch.  Fleece is not going to fray.  I added velcro to the back for closure.
I am going to do a line of photo sleeves next.  I can't wait to give out baby photo coffee sleeves to all of my friends.  

Java Jacket Coffee Sleeve Reusable
Java Jacket Coffee Sleeve Reusable
I also have a great way to turn this idea into a kid craft.  I made a white version on this in white cotton with a white fleece lining.  I had my daughter color the whole thing with crayons.  Then I ironed it on high with a sheet of wax paper over the top.  This sets the crayon.  What a fun gift for dad or grandma/grandpa. 
This project is another great way to use scraps.  I save every little piece of fabric from my projects, so I always have odd sized pieces waiting to be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...