Saturday, October 2, 2010

E is for Embellishment: Tips, Tricks, Tutorials & More

Part of our sewing series is going to be E is for embellishment.  I was thinking about doing elastic, but that is so much less exciting than embellishments. 

When it comes to sewing there are MANY types of embellishments.  I would recommend that you look at my A is for Applique post and free applique tutorial as a starting point.
Flowers

Also, we have a free tutorial on layered felt flowers that are a great way to embellish sewing projects.  There are so many great flowers you can make.  If you don't want to make flowers, try buying a premade flower and adding it as an embellishment.
  I added ribbon roses and bows to the front of this Halloween costume to give it that over the top look. 

Check out our fabric flowers tutorial round up for lots of free tips and tricks on making fabric flowers.


Ribbons & Bows
Some of my other favorite embellishments are ribbons and bows.  A simple little bow can make a huge difference on a project.

Our tip to making bows - seal the ends with a lighter.  You just barely pass over the end and the ribbon will heat seal to prevent fraying.   

I added a simple bow to both of these projects just to make them slightly more feminine. 

Check out our tutorial on hair bow holders for bow making tips and my free mini tutorial on making corker ribbon. 

Appliques
Our A is for Applique tutorial roundup featured our very own mini applique workshop and lots of great ideas for using appliques. 

BTW, Lisa will be launching a companion applique line to compliment our sewing patterns in the next week or so.  We are really excited to be able to offer some great applique designs that anyone can use to make wonderful gifts for the Christmas Season. 


Check out this adorable pair of applique baby booties.  I am going to be making the pattern in larger sizes this week for children's slippers.  Mostly because every time Kamille sees the sample booties she starts to demand a pair for herself.  I'm not going to lie, I would wear a pair of these around the house in the winter.  The larger pattern will have no skid bottoms sewn on. 

Really there are so many embellishments from buttons, to trims, to appliques that it is hard to cover everything in one post.  I will leave you with our newest etsy treasury full of really great handmade and vintage sewing embellishments that are very affordable and available on etsy.  I personally would rather see my funds going to other crafters than to giant corporations where I can help it. 





'E is for Embellishment' by c1h8r9is

I wanted to create a showcase for my blog to promote craft supplies on etsy. I think that there are many people who don't know that you can buy extremely unique supplies on etsy at really affordable prices. www.boutiqueit.blogspot.com.

Mini Wool Felt Aqua...

$5.00
Stamped Muslin Ribb...

$5.00
New- sweet vintage ...

$6.85
30 Handmade Crochet...

$7.25
Farm Fresh BAKERS T...

$3.25
Robots and Owls BUT...

$4.50
PINK AND BROWN FLOW...

$3.50
Moda Wee Play 42 Fa...

$128.00
Handmade organza, s...

$9.99
RECLAIMED FABRIC 6 ...

$6.00
New Handmade Polyme...

$4.00
B3G4TH FREE NEW-Sch...

$4.00
10 pcs of 25mmX50mm...

$5.00
Pink Chiffon Roses ...

$10.00
20 Handmade 2 Inch ...

$5.25
BEAUTIFUL TRIM RIBB...

$0.50

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...