Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Valentines Wall Hanging

A while back I had ordered a charm pack of Moda Valentine's day fabrics and had intended to make place mats out of it. However, I was in the mood for something new and Valentine's related to add some color to our living room. And this is what I ended up with after just and hour or so.

I took some left over yardage of light blue felt from some Christmas ornaments that I had made and cut into two 24" x 24" squares. Then i made three different sized heart shaped templates out of scrap paper and proceeded to cut the largest and smallest hearts out of assorted pink and red felt. The middle heart is where the charm squares came into play. I actually cut the heart first making the biggest heart that I could out of 9 charm squares (mine where 5" squares). Then I made the template for the small and large square to my desired size.

Next, I simply stitched the charm square heart to the largest felt heart. And then the smallest felt heart on top of those two. Lastly, I stitched down the whole applique on the blue background with a satin stitch. I just eye balled everything as far as spacing went alternating pink and red appliques. 

When I had all of my hearts appliqued down on the back ground, I added three lengths of ribbon (folded in half to make tabs) evenly spaced at the top of the project and pointed inwards toward the bottom of the project.  Next, I placed the backing fabric (the other 24"x24" piece of felt) on top of the appliqued piece (right sides together). I stitched around all sides with a 1/4" seam allowance leaving a 3" opening for turning. Then I just simply turned the wall handing right side out and top stitched making sure to catch the 3" opening.

Voila!




A simple, easy, and inexpensive wall hanging was created. This would be a great way to use up all of your fabric scraps!

Happy Sewing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...