Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Some Christmas Gifts for Men

Since our last post was dedicated to girly spa gifts I thought that I would put together a post with some manly gifts. 

Classic Boxers


The nice thing about this tutorial is that you can really specialize these boxers and make them in a college print or something else that your guy would like.  Check out the tutorial here.

Men's Wallet

First off, totally ignore the fabric this wallet is made from.  It's a little tweeny.  I made a wallet for my brother-in-law a few years ago for Christmas and will be making another one this year using a very similar pattern.  Wallets are actually really eay to sew and you can make one relatively cheaply with fat quarters of stash scraps.  For my wallet I used the printable fabric for the outside.  I printed a black and white photo of the Beatles on his wallet and I made another wallet for my husband with our daugther's baby pictures on it.  They really make nice gifts.  Just make sure that you size the photos about the same size as the measurement for the cover of the wallet and then print on the fabric.  The tutorial for the wallet it here.

Mama Tortilla's Neckwarmer

I love this pattern.  First, it's sew simple.  I mean you are literally sewing up a rectangle.  You could even let your child sit on your lap and help stitch this one up as a gift for dad.  Secondly, it is a great gift for any guy, especially one who love the outdoors - skiing, hunting, etc.
Check out the tutorial here.

Sweater Mittens

I know that these are women's mittens in the photo, but they really do make a great men's gift too.  These things will cost you abotu $30.00 at a craft show, but they are cheap to make.  They use up left over fleece scraps and a ruined men's sweater.  So, if you have ever shrunk your honey's favorite wool sweater, you can make it up to him with this project by turning it into a great pair of winter mittens.  Plus, these mittens are insanely warm.  I got a pair last year for Christmas from my mom and they are a favorite gift still.  If you don't have a wool sweater that is already shrunk you can pick one up for a few dollars at your local thrift store.


If you want a complete pattern, you can use the fleece mitten pattern from Simplicity or McCalls (both on sale over the next couple of weeks for under $2.00) and just substitute the felted wool sweater for the outside. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...