Friday, November 4, 2011

Craft Fusion - Make Up Roll

Well, after finding my newest make up brush ruined in the bathtub (apparantly it was part of a barbie makeup salon that took place in this morning bath) I decided that it was high time to make myself a new make up bag instead of just throwing everything loose into a drawer in the bathroom. 

Well, after searching around for some makeup bag tutorials, I was really disappointed.  They are basically glorified pencil cases and offer little actual organization - I wish I still had my old caboodle! 

Then, I found a very simple concept - the make up roll.  It's really similar to the knitting needle roll, but for your make up and brushes. 

You can find the tutorial here at LBG Studios.  I liked the basic idea of this and with this really simple design you could seriously just fold a really nice single placemat and create this same concept without measuring or really much work at all. 

I wanted something a little more complex so I changed her original design up a bit.  I added pockets to store eye shadow, blush, etc. and a flap the keep everything from slipping out of the top.  The middle pocket is for the brushes and I made one of the parts a little wider to hold a mascara. 

Then, I didn't really care fo the plain exterior so I jazzed it up with some ribbon roses.  I actually picked these scraps up off of the floor next to the cutting table to turn them into these roses. 



I'm sure that we previously posted a tutorial for these roses on the blog, but if not, here is another great tutorial that shows you how to make srap fabric roses from SippyCupMom.

Finally, I am not into the ribbon tie closure.  In my experience, they just come untied or turn into an impossible to untie knot. So, I loved this idea for a closure that I saw in this great coffee sleeve tutorial from Liberate Creativity.

See how there is elastic cord (I think that this is actually a hair rubberband which is genious because then you can get the cord to be any color you want.) 

So, here you can see that I used the same type of closure on my make up roll, a button with elastic cord so that the roll can easily expand at I add more make up. 

Now you see why I call it CRAFT FUSION.  I used the pieces from three totally unrelated tutorials to make one great project.  .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...