Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Free Receiving Blanket Tutorial for Konbit Sante Craft Hope

This morning I put together this tutorial on making a basic receiving blanket.  No Serger Required. 

This tutorial will make a blanket sized for swaddling.  Most receiving blankets you buy from the store are sized 30"x30" which is not ideal for swaddling. 

  You start with a 34"x36" piece of flannel.  I cut it with the rotary to make sure that it was perfect. 
Next you can serge the edges or you can use an overcast zigzag stitch.  To make an overcast zigzag, you need to set your machine to the widest zigzag setting.  I keep the stitch length short.  You should line the fabric up in the middle of the foot.  In the right position, the needle will not catch your fabric. 
 In the left position of the zigzag stitch, the needle will enter the fabric.  This overcast zigzag will encase the raw edge to prevent fraying in the wash.
Stitch around the entire blanket.  It might cause the fabric to wave, so you will want to press the blanket when you are finished. 
Finally, I added a little double heart applique by ironing some craft fuse onto cotton and then fusing it to the blanket. 

2 comments:

  1. I've made receiving blankets for years for for just about everyone I know expecting newborns. I take 1 1/4 yds to make mine. All my fabric is washed in the washer before I ever begin. Once I square it up, I round the edges. Then using my rolled hem foot I hem it. And, that's it. Right now, I've got around 15 blankies to take to a nearby NICU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea for the local hospital loving it. and it quick and easy with so much satisfaction....

    ReplyDelete

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...