Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Apple Pie Cupcakes



Let's begin on the couch where I sit and have a ritual morning cup of coffee while reading some kind of cookbook or craft book. The one time I choose to be completely unaware of the growing mess my children are making throughout the house. Why a person would put their pajamas in the hamper is beyond me; they look much nicer on the dining room floor. And my children agree. There it's settled then. We'll all be careless for this ten minute cup of coffee... so that I can THINK!!! And these Apple Pie Cupcakes are what I thought about. I had seen different versions of this idea around the Internet. After combining different components from some of the recipes that are out there I came up with my own. I made these for my mother in law's birthday dinner and let me just say, everyone had seconds. Yes!! Success. You must try them.There are three different levels of flavor in each bite. A spicy moist cake bottom layer. A sweet and tart apple pie center. Finished with a sweet caramel butter cream. So good...TRY THEM!

To bake the cake you'll need:
 Spice cake mix or use your favorite recipe
Ingredients to bake cake
Small box butterscotch pudding mix
Cupcake liners
 Cupcake pans

To make the Apple Pie Filling:
4 tbsp. butter
4 tsp. cinnamon
6 tbsp. sugar
6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced

To make the Caramel Butter Cream:
1 Stick Butter, softened
1/2 C Shortening
2 tsp. Good quality vanilla
16 oz. Powdered sugar
2-4 Tbsp. Heavy cream
1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping or favorite recipe 

Now preheat your oven to the cake recipes specifications. I always bake cakes at 325.
I used a box mix to make my cupcakes. It was super simple. I followed the box direction but added my butterscotch pudding mix to the dry cake mix before I started. I generously filled my lined cupcake tins with cake batter and baked as directed.


Then I made my pie filling.
Heat your butter in a medium skillet. Add the cinnamon and sugar and cook for 1 minute. Next, add the apples and mix to evenly coat each apple. Cook for about 10 minutes. Let this cool while you prepare the cupcakes.

I just cut all the way around the top of the cupcake at an angle to take out a pyramid shaped piece of cake. Just eat those.. no one will know:) 


Next fill each cupcake with equal portions of filling. Don't be stingy with the juices.



Now for that delicious caramel butter cream.
In stand mixer or with hand held mixer, cream your butter, shortening, and vanilla together until smooth. Then alternate sifting in powdered sugar and cream until all of the powdered sugar is gone and you have the right consistency for piping. Pipe a generous amount of frosting on top of each cupcake.



And Voila! The Best Cupcakes Ever!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...