Thursday, April 9, 2020

Turn old shirts into new scrunchies

It took me 4 hours but I managed to make my first video tutorial.  I'm pretty proud of myself for sticking with it.  Since I've lost all track of time during the stay home stay safe orders, I've forgotten about my nails.  They were a train wreck in this video.  Thanks to my mom for immediately pointing that out.  ;) 

Since I wait til the last minute for everything, I'm trying to put together some last minute Easter basket stuffers and I thought scrunchies would be a great addition.

I'm using some old t-shirt fabric to make these.

I really prefer t-shirt scrunchies as they are softer.  If you want to use cotton that works too.

For this pattern you need a 3"x14" strip of t-shirt and another piece about that size to make the optional bunny ears tie.

The tie is cute and functional.  It's covering over the seam on the scrunchie.  I am not ladder stitching a freaking scrunchie together.  Not happening!


Supplies:
Scissors 
T-shirt fabric
Elastic threader
Tube turner
1/8" elastic
Pins




If you don't have an elastic threader or a tube turner you can make a safety pin work.  I invested in some additional tools and it really makes sewing more enjoyable.

 Full disclosure I used all my 1/8" elastic for face masks I donated so I used some fold over elastic I had...but I would have really preferred not using good elastic inside of these.  

Please tag me in your finished scrunchies on Instagram @indipatterns.

I hope you enjoy this beginner project. 

For those of you who don't feel comfortable cutting without a pattern, you can download the 1 page printable pdf pattern here.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...