Friday, November 11, 2016

10 Minute T-Shirt Leggings

I recently watched an amazing documentary, The True Cost.  It's about US consumption.  It's available on Netflix.   Essentially, the documentary points out that the average American throws out 82 pounds of textile waste each year.  So, for a family of 4, you are probably throwing out 328 pounds of fabric waste per year.  It think we can all agree that is too much waste.   

So, I decided to start a series on my blog, that I will be premiering today, but hopefully posting about every Friday showing you how to reuse items you already have to make new clothes.  I actually do this all of the time at home.  It is partly to cut back on waste, but also because I have things with prints or embroider that I just love and I'd like to see them have a new life in a new piece of clothing.  

This week I'll show you how to make a pair of 10 minute leggings from an old t-shirt.  You can use a pattern you already have.  I've used this Skinny Toddler Leggings Pattern from my shop.
Once you have a pattern, the process is pretty much the same as if you were using a regular knit fabric yardage.  


The only big different is that I line up the hem of the t-shirt or skirt or whatever I am using.  I'm going to use the factory hemmed edge as the bottom.  It saves time and looks great.  

 The pattern will have accounted for hemming, so you need to adjust the length of the pants pattern.  My pattern allows for a 1/2" turned hem.
I just fold the pattern up 1/2' and line it up with the bottom of the t-shirt for cutting.  Then follow the instructions for stitching up your pants.  

I made this cute pair in under 10 minutes.  I did add that super adorable panda pocket embroidery design.  It's available at blastostitch.com.  All of their designs are on sale for $.25 right now, normally $2.99.  How cute.  A new pair of leggings for $.50 with the elastic.  I could have used t-shirt fabric to make a knit waistband and skipped the elastic all together.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...