Saturday, February 18, 2012

Felt Food Tea Bags Tutorial

I always try to make something handmade to go along with any gifts I give.  I think it makes it more special when people know you took a little time to make something.  One of my favorite things growing up with three sisters was having tea parties.  My daughter loves having parties with her stuffed animals or friends.  
This is a fun little tutorial I put together for my daughter's play kitchen.  She loves to run a cafe and serve up all of her customers tasty treats.  Normally she makes me coffee - if that says anything about how much coffee I actually drink - but I wanted to make some tea bags for her to play with.


So I just started with those organza jewelry bags.  I cut the ribbons out of the bags by just snipping off the end and pulling them out.


I just cut out a rectangle of black felt and placed it in the bag to represent the tea leaves.  I wanted to use chunky glitter or confetti, but we only had red, so I went with the black felt.


Then, I put one of the ribbons I pulled out of the bag into the top and stitched the sack shut. 


 Finally, I stitched down a small square of felt for the tab.  I would have ironed some little gems or monogram applique on if my iron was working.  I guess that three years of using it every day while sewing has finally burned it out. 

So, here is the set of 4 that I made.  On a side note, this would be a super cute project for a baby shower favor or bridal shower favor filled with bath salts instead of felt. 

I put links to the supplies below.  I usually buy things in bulk online because I often make lots of the same items and put them in my etsy shop or sell them at craft shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...