Thursday, September 22, 2011

New Sew Halloween Treat Bags

So this year I am actually trying not to make all of our Halloween costumes and treat bags on the night before the Halloween party at school. 

I got a jump start on the treat bags with this little NO SEW bag.  Yes, it is still missing the google eyes because they have mysteriously vanished from my studio.  I made this bag no sew, even though it would have been easier to sew up or hot glue to sides because I thought that this no sew project would be a great way for kindergarten plus kids to practice fine motor skills and keep them busy making their own treat bag. 

First, I started with a rectangle of fleece.  You can make it as big or as small as you want.  I folded it in half so I would only need to tie the sides and not the bottom. 

Next, snip up the side to make a fringe.  I made the fringe about 1/2" wide and about 1 1/2" long.  IF you have a really small child trying to tie this, I would start with a larger bag and make longer pieces of fringe to make it easier to tie.

Then, I went along and cut off every other piece of fringe.  You can skip this step, but it does make the bag easier to tie. 
Knot the fringe up both sides.


Next, I cut out the handle. 

Finally, I just glued on the face.  I used hot glue, but fabric glue works just as well.

Some variations:

Cut a circle out of orange and make a pumpkin
Cut a circle out of white and make a ghost.
Cut a triangle and make a candy corn.
Cut a bag from black and make a cat.

Really you could use this to make any sort of bag that matches your child's costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...