Saturday, January 8, 2011

Some Free Felt Food Tutorials

I just love felt food.  Lisa and I have made up dozens of different felt food dishes.  It is a very fun craft to make because felt food is quick, simple, and inexpensive in addition to being better for your kids than plastic food.  Plus, felt or fleece are the idea beginner fabrics for projects.  They don't fall apart and they are really easy to sew.

I actually think really simple coloring pages make perfect patterns for felt food.  I normally just freehand the felt food, but I'm not picky.

Here are some nice tutorials on making your own felt food:

This is a tutorial for eggs and oranges from One Crafty Mumma:

One Inch World brings you this tutorial on ravioli.  She did stick it together with spray glue which seems pretty simple.  I sewed each piece with my machine.

I put some links to supplies below here.  I like to buy my felt in bulk because it's so much less money that way.  Some people sew on all sorts of beads.  I am really lazy and I hate hand sewing, so I just use puffy paint for the embellishments - like sprinkles or frosting.

If you are not big into sewing, I highly recommend a good hot glue gun.  It's worth it to buy one that is a little nicer.  They heat up faster and maintain heat longer.

This is a really fun tutorial on little cookies (I would use puffy paint rather than beads b/c I am lazy like that and let's face reality - I would never spend the time to stitch the beads down like that and the project would never be finished).
Chasing Marcus has this tutorial on felt food Brussel's sprouts.

Here is a tutorial on making a loaf of French Bread:



If you want really involved patterns for more complex food check out the links below.  Lots of great books and patterns are available online.  In my experience felt food is a really great seller at craft shows and in your kid friendly esty shop.



 Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these links! If you have any felt projects of your own, I'd love for you to link them up at my Felt Food Roundup on OneCreativeMommy.com. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

Working with Cork Fabric

So, I am not an expert in this - based on using it for one project.  However, I did a lot of research before buying it and watched quite a f...